Leaky Gut Test
Lactulose and Mannitol Test
How Does the Leaky Gut Test Work?
The absorption of these large materials can create The food we eat needs to be broken down into very small pieces in order to be absorbed through the GI tract. Larger molecules such as food particles, bacteria and toxins are left in the GI tract to be excreted.
Our Leaky Gut Test requires you take a baseline morning urine sample (done at home). Once completed, you will be required to drink a mixture of two non-metabolized sugars, lactulose and mannitol. At this point you will collect 6 hours of urine. The lab will measure how much lactulose and mannitol was excreted.
If leaky gut syndrome is NOT present, the the large lactulose molecules should remain in the GI tract and thus test low in the urine. If the count is high in the urine, leaky gut syndrome should be considered.
Possible Causes of Leaky Gut
- Intestinal infection (test panel)
- Ingestion of allergenic foods (test panel)
- Toxic chemicals (test panels)
- NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen etc.
How Can The Leaky Gut Test Help?
The leaky gut test is extremely important when beginning restorative treatment plans. As intestinal health improves, the lactulose/mannitol ratio should improve.
Since on-going monitoring is recommend by most doctors, we extend a 10% discount when you order 2 or more leaky gut tests at the same time (automatically discounted at checkout).
What's Being Tested in This Panel:
- Total Urine Volume
- Includes: Mannitol/Lactulose Drink
To prevent an incorrect mannitol reading, please avoid the following 48 hours before collection:
- Cough Drops
- Hard and Soft Candies
- Lactobacillus Probiotic Supplementation
Specimen Type: Urine, Genova Home Test Kit (How It Works | FAQs)
Turnaround Time: 7 days
- This kit can be ordered in all states including New York State. This test is also available in Canada.
- This kit is not intended for those with kidney dysfunction.