Leaky Gut Test
Lactulose and Mannitol Test
How Does the Leaky Gut Test Work?
Our Leaky Gut Test requires you take a baseline morning urine sample (done at home). Once completed, you will be required to drink a mixture of two non-metabolized sugars, lactulose and mannitol. After six hours, you will collect an additional sample of urine. The lab will measure how much lactulose and mannitol was excreted.
If leaky gut syndrome is NOT present, the the large lactulose molecules should remain in the GI tract and thus test low in the urine. If the count is high in the urine, leaky gut syndrome should be considered.
Possible Causes of Leaky Gut:
- Intestinal infection (test panel)
- Ingestion of allergenic foods (test panel)
- Toxic chemicals (test panels)
- NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen etc.
How Can The Leaky Gut Test Help?
The Leaky Gut Test is extremely important when beginning restorative treatment plans. As intestinal health improves, the lactulose/mannitol ratio should improve.
Since ongoing monitoring is recommend by most doctors, we extend a 10% discount when you order 2 or more leaky gut tests at the same time (automatically discounted at checkout).
What's Being Tested in this Panel?
- Total Urine Volume
- Includes: Mannitol/Lactulose Drink
To prevent an incorrect mannitol reading, please avoid the following foods 48 hours before collection:
- Cough Drops
- Hard and Soft Candies
- Lactobacillus Probiotic Supplementation
Specimen Type: Urine, Genova Home Test Kit (How It Works | FAQs)
Turnaround Time: 7 days
- This kit can be ordered in all states including New York State. This test is also available in Canada.
- This kit is not intended for those with kidney dysfunction.
- Do not run the test if you have allergies to Mannitol or Lactulose.
- Certain medications such as aspirin, other anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids containing
aluminum or magnesium hydroxide (eg, Maalox liquid, Equate, Milk of Magnesia,
Rolaids, Mylanta) as well as drugs that contain sorbitol and/or mannitol
may affect your test results. Please consult with your healthcare professional know about any medications or
supplements you are using before taking this test. It is recommended that you avoid the
use of these medicines for at least
72 hours before taking this test.